Cmdr Shepard's favourite books on the Citadel

I was a much more avid reader in my youth... before the days of PCs and gaming consoles. Now I find myself working in a job filled with long, slow periods of extreme boredom (punctuated by brief spells of intense excitement) which gives me a lot of time to pick up my reading again.

The only thing that I curse is my near-eidetic memory when it comes to books that I have read which can ruin my future enjoyment and re-reading of many of my favourite books (I tend to skip the 'slow, boring bits'). As a result I find myself mentally forcing myself to read each page slowly and carefully whenever I re-read a book to prevent myself from jumping forward to the more exciting parts that I remember.

Superchef Australia: A Parody - Ben Pobjie Perhaps I went into the book expecting so much more but, at the same time, there is so much more that this book could have been. I honestly wanted to love this book so much, and I'm so disappointed that it fell so flat...

The opening 'Introduction from the Producer' and the profiles of both Contestants and Judges had me laughing quietly, and showed that the promise I saw in the book was there. Sadly though, from that point things just went into a steady decline to the point where I was sitting there thinking of so many quips or comments that could have been added at various points that were just completely overlooked by the writer. In the end it actually became a struggle to finish the book becuase of this.

The concept of Contestant's Personal Recipes was a great one and, on several occasions, worthy of a giggle or two... but not to the extent that book could have delivered.

In the end I've given 2 stars because there is so much promise in the idea, just poorly executed in this single effort.

P.S.: I recently noticed another review on this same book which probably enunciates how I feel about this book better than I could myself.

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Robert Jordan