Cmdr Shepard's favourite books on the Citadel

I was a much more avid reader in my youth... before the days of PCs and gaming consoles. Now I find myself working in a job filled with long, slow periods of extreme boredom (punctuated by brief spells of intense excitement) which gives me a lot of time to pick up my reading again.

The only thing that I curse is my near-eidetic memory when it comes to books that I have read which can ruin my future enjoyment and re-reading of many of my favourite books (I tend to skip the 'slow, boring bits'). As a result I find myself mentally forcing myself to read each page slowly and carefully whenever I re-read a book to prevent myself from jumping forward to the more exciting parts that I remember.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1 - Yoshiyuki Sadamoto If Alan Moore's Watchmen is a 'classic' of the dark-fantasy comic genre, then NGE is a 'classic' of anime, and one with an incredibly loyal cult following. This, then, is the manga adaptation of one of that original contoversial, yet incredibly successful, anime.

I loved the anime series, although not a fanatical fan, as I thought both endings were EXTREMELY disappointing and actually detracted from the story. After reading this first 'book' I have to admit that I am impressed how well this adaptation works. It takes the original series and looks at it from a slightly different angle.

The biggest complaint of those who hated the NGE anime was that Shinji was simply 'a whiny little emo wannabe' to feel like a real person. In some respects I can understand this criticism. However in the manga I felt that Shinji's manner is less 'whiny emo', and more 'depressed realist'.

I am looking forward to seeing how Sadamoto handles this adaptation (and re-interpretation) of what can rightly be termed 'classic' and feel that despite its differences, for many people, reading this manga will be like seeing some good friends again after a long absence.

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Robert Jordan