Cmdr Shepard's favourite books on the Citadel

I was a much more avid reader in my youth... before the days of PCs and gaming consoles. Now I find myself working in a job filled with long, slow periods of extreme boredom (punctuated by brief spells of intense excitement) which gives me a lot of time to pick up my reading again.

The only thing that I curse is my near-eidetic memory when it comes to books that I have read which can ruin my future enjoyment and re-reading of many of my favourite books (I tend to skip the 'slow, boring bits'). As a result I find myself mentally forcing myself to read each page slowly and carefully whenever I re-read a book to prevent myself from jumping forward to the more exciting parts that I remember.

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie I was seriously torn over the number of stars to give this book. Initially (for the first 150 or so pages) I would have given this book only 2 stars, 3 at best. However, the longer I read, the more I came to enjoy the story and the characters, especially Inquisitor Glokta. As such, I've given the book 4 stars, but would really rate it as a 'high' 4.5 stars.

It is different to the 'epic high fantasy' which originally got me into reading so heavily. I would say it is written in a much more 'authentic, earthy' style; it feels more like a 'down-to-earth, reality style' story as opposed to the highly sanitised 'Hollywood style' of high fantasy (where people never need to go to the toilet or anything else similarly mundane).

I highly enjoyed this, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series (which are on my 'Must Buy' list for the next visit to the bookstore).

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Robert Jordan