Cmdr Shepard's favourite books on the Citadel

I was a much more avid reader in my youth... before the days of PCs and gaming consoles. Now I find myself working in a job filled with long, slow periods of extreme boredom (punctuated by brief spells of intense excitement) which gives me a lot of time to pick up my reading again.

The only thing that I curse is my near-eidetic memory when it comes to books that I have read which can ruin my future enjoyment and re-reading of many of my favourite books (I tend to skip the 'slow, boring bits'). As a result I find myself mentally forcing myself to read each page slowly and carefully whenever I re-read a book to prevent myself from jumping forward to the more exciting parts that I remember.

Battle Angel Alita, Volume 6: Angel Of Death (Battle Angel Alita (Graphic Novels)) - Yukito Kishiro Another of my favourite manga series that initially got me interested in Japanese manga and anime, Battle Angel Alita is another classic Japanese manga from the early 1990s.

This series tells the story of an amnesiac female cyborg named Alita, whose head and upper torso are found in a state of suspended animation by cybermedic/bounty hunter Daisuke Ido while he is searching for useful scrap, and follows her as she recovers her past.

Having been sentenced to death for breaking Tipharan law by using a gun to kill Zapan, Alita is given the last minute choice to become a Special 'Tuned' Agent for the Tipharan Ground Investigation Bureau. Her first mission: to find and arrest the man who she believes killed Doctor Ido.. Desty Nova.

With a new body Alita seeks BarJack, a rebel warlord with links to Desty Nova. During her search she meets up with Figure Four, a pure un-enhanced human, and finds herself falling in love again...

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Robert Jordan