Cmdr Shepard's favourite books on the Citadel

I was a much more avid reader in my youth... before the days of PCs and gaming consoles. Now I find myself working in a job filled with long, slow periods of extreme boredom (punctuated by brief spells of intense excitement) which gives me a lot of time to pick up my reading again.

The only thing that I curse is my near-eidetic memory when it comes to books that I have read which can ruin my future enjoyment and re-reading of many of my favourite books (I tend to skip the 'slow, boring bits'). As a result I find myself mentally forcing myself to read each page slowly and carefully whenever I re-read a book to prevent myself from jumping forward to the more exciting parts that I remember.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Volume 5 - Yoshiyuki Sadamoto If Alan Moore's Watchmen is a 'classic' of the dark-fantasy comic genre, then NGE is a 'classic' of anime, and one with an incredibly loyal cult following. This, then, is the manga adaptation of one of that original contoversial, yet incredibly successful, anime.

I loved the anime series, although not a fanatical fan, as I thought both endings were EXTREMELY disappointing and actually detracted from the story. After reading this first 'book' I have to admit that I am impressed how well this adaptation works. It takes the original series and looks at it from a slightly different angle.

There are several major events that take place in this volume. Kaji (introduced in the previous book as the NERV staffer assigned as Asuka's guardian before she arrived in Japan) is investigating the secrets behind NERV istelf. Shinji finally comes to terms with the fact that he can never have a normal relationship with his father. His interactions with both Rei and Asuka in the light of this begin to evolve, and finally he gets a good glimpse into the secrets his father (and NERV) are hiding about the 'Angels' and The Second Impact... and into his own past and the first experiments in creating the EVA units.

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Robert Jordan